A GIRL'S PLEDGE

I am a girl.
I am an expression of beauty, joy, and love.
I have the right, the power and the ability, to create a beautiful, joyful,
and peaceful world for myself and others.
I have a body, but I am not my body.
I have face, but I am not my face.
I am the most important thing in the world to me.
I am love in motion.
I am the light of the world!
I can create!
I can make a mistake!
I can create something beautiful in all that I do!
I deserve the best.
I give my best.
I do my best to always take care of me!
I am a girl!
I am growing into a woman!
I AM IT!
I am the joy the world is waiting for!

by Iyanla Vanzant


Monday, August 30, 2010

GO GREEN!

SYW kicked off our 2010-2011 season with a GREEN bang!
Our school invited us to educate the students and faculty about the new composting project that is being implemented school-wide.  The group began their task by first discussing the complete composting process and then defining exactly what may be composted.  
We were surprised to learn that any food left on our plates from banana peels to meat.....even yogurt!.....was worthy of composting.  We discovered that our leftover food scraps are not really trash at all, but an important resource that may be called "food for the soil"!
 After our discussion, we designed 20 colorful posters for use in the classrooms and cafeteria.  On the first full day of school, we divided into four groups and visited each of the classrooms to teach the students about the exciting new way everyone can become a "farmer" without ever riding on a tractor!  Who knew our banana peels could be a sunflower in their next life!  :)
In addition to our GO GREEN project, each girl made a Memory Book to keep her pictures, keepsakes, and treasures in from this upcoming year's events.  Below are some more pictures of us with our Memory Books:

 
For those of you who would like to read/do more about Going Green, the Go Green Blog has lots of information ranging from Eco-Products (such as super neat dog leashes!), Energy and Environment......to Family, Healthy Eating and Green Crafts.  Go explore!!!

Read more about Zero Waste here:
www.zerowaste.org
www.ecocycle.org/zerowaste
www.zerowasteamerica.org
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts....